This delicious appetizer marries the complex flavors of fennel and prosciutto for ...
A deliciously sophisticated plate.
- Calories 44
- Total Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 13mg
- Sodium 296mg
- Total Carbs 3g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Sugars —
- Protein 4g
- Calcium —
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Oven Temp: 400
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each fennel bulb in half, then halve again, yielding four sections.
- Crunch Factor: if you prefer your fennel to be crisp, go directly to step 4. If you wish a softer texture to the fennel, roast it without the prosciutto for 3-5 minutes depending on the firmness you desire. Roasting too long will make it difficult to wrap the fennel, so if you prefer the vegetable to be fully cooked, simply place the prosciutto over the top of the cooked fennel and return both of them to the oven until the prosciutto has a nice crisp on the edges as shown in the photo.
- Wrap the fennel spears with four slices of prosciutto and place the wrapped spears on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, leaving most for the garnish on the plate.
- Roast until fennel is tender and prosciutto is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Choose your plate wisely. We chose to display this dish on a white porcelain rectangular plate. Garnish with dotted balsamic reduction, sliced oranges, and a sprinkle of fennel seeds.