A Stroudsmoor house recipe featured as a light and healthy option to its cousin Salmon Caper Crème. While you can still order the classic cousin at the Inn, this recipe reduces calories, strengthens the immune system and has heart-healthy benefits. Learn more about the health benefits of cooking with yogurt at Health Benefits of Yogurt: Nutrition, Protein, and Probiotics (healthline.com).
Let’s talk salmon
Purchasing a fresh whole side of salmon is a cost-effective way to create your salmon dinner supply. Cutting into smaller steaks, as the fish freezes well. Sashimi grade Atlantic Whole Salmon fillets are available from many Fishmongers like this one from Skinless Sashimi Grade Atlantic Whole Salmon Fillet – Wild Fork Foods.
If you are ambitious like our chefs, purchase the whole fish and clean it!
- Pull the salmon head to the left, open the gills and cut off both sides.
- Cut and open the belly (starting from the tail of the fish to the head) remove the innards and wash thoroughly.
- Cut the head off by placing the mouth on top and cutting it into two pieces.
- Place the head of the body to the right of your cutting board with the belly of the salmon facing you, slice the top section of the body off above the backbone from head to tail. Remove the side.
- Cut under the backbone on the lower side and remove the bone entirely. Be sure to remove any small remaining bones from both sides.
- Remove the silver skin by sliding a sharp knife close to the skin along the tail about 3”. Pull the skin away from the filet from tail to head. Slice into desired steak sizes.
How to baked and sear your Salmon Steak . . .
- Cut 4-6oz. steaks and pat dry removing moisture
- Rub steak with ½ tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sprinkle with Kosher Salt to your taste (no more than 1/8 tsp.)
- Squeeze half a fresh lemon (no pits) over the steak – or use ¼ oz. lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Place parchment baking paper or foil on a baker’s sheet pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak, keeping in mind your preferred temperature
- When baked, place the sheet pan under a preheated broiler allowing the top of the steak to sear to a golden brown – see photo of Chef Gerard’s baked and seared salmon steak above
- Plate and serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon or dollops of Cucumber Yogurt Crème
Cucumber Yogurt Crème – a healthy alternative to Caper Crème Sauce . . .
- 4 TBLS. Low-fat Yogurt – (always plain yogurt) Dannon or Chobani is usually in the Stroudsmoor Walk-in.
- 1 TBLS Minced Red Onion
- ¼ tsp Chopped Fresh Garlic
- ½ oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to your taste – none in the SCI recipe
Blend all together with a whisk and dollop onto the salmon steak to you preferred taste. Don’t forget a bed of seasoned brown rice (or two step healthier – use a bed of steamed spinach or cauliflower rice). A feast fit for a skinny King!!